Did you ever spend an afternoon at your grandparents house, pouring over old photographs, finding out who is who, and exclaiming about how your dad looked as a boy, your mum’s funny haircut, or how your family home looked many years ago? You could do this because your grandparents (and their parents, etc) printed their photos. I am passionate about continuing this tradition, and encourage you to print the photos I take of your family. Here are my top 6 reasons why you should print your photos:
- As mentioned above, the historical aspect. These are permanent “hard copy” records of historical significance. Your children and grandchildren will hopefully one day be spending an afternoon pouring over them.
- People (especially children) grow and change quickly. Having a reminder on display is a great way of keeping track of time.
- It’s a wonderful self-esteem boost for your children to see themselves displayed in photos.
- Digital technologies change quickly (5 1/4″ floppy disk anyone?) No-one is spending an afternoon staring at a USB or CD! It wont be long before these technologies are surpassed, and then you may not be able to access your photos!
- High quality printing lasts a long time. If you’re going to spend money to have your photos taken professionally, why trust them to the local supermarket printing kiosk? It’s definitely worth it to pay a little extra knowing the colour of the prints will be spot on, and the paper and inks are made to last .
- I don’t know how many times I have heard friends mention that they had professional photos taken, but the USB is still “sitting in a draw somewhere”. (Such a waste!) Why not print them and display where you can see them?
Here’s to prints!